If you have experienced a power outage as a result of the current flood conditions across QLD and NSW, we encourage you to contact and follow the updates from your network distributor. Here is the list of networks distributors across QLD & NSW. (Note: you can find out your specific energy distributor from the top right of your Discover Energy bill).
Network faults and emergencies
Important Safety Information
(Adapted from advice from Endeavour Energy)
When a flood warning is issued:
- move electric pump motors and portable appliances to an area above the estimated flood height.
- keep your mobile phone charged and check that you have a torch and portable radio in good working order. Stay tuned to ABC radio for emergency updates
- know the location of your main switch and meter box
- switch off electricity to non-essential circuits before they are submerged in rising floodwaters
- download your energy distributors’s power outage app and follow us on twitter and Facebook for updates. You can who find your energy distributor is via your Discover Energy bill.
If you are asked to evacuate:
- switch off all appliances
- cut off all electricity to the household by opening the main switch or removing switch fuses at the main switchboard or meter box.
Do this even if you have been advised that all power has been cut off to your area
- make sure you have an evacuation kit with your mobile phone, charger, important phone numbers, medicine, and essential supplies.
Treat all power lines as ALIVE and dangerous:
- keep well clear of ALL POWER LINES and particularly avoid contact with wires which are hanging low or on the ground, dangling in flood water or tangled in trees
- do not drive across fallen power lines. If power lines have fallen across or have been become entangled in your vehicle, remain inside your vehicle, and call for help. If in danger, open the door and jump well clear keeping your hands off the vehicle and feet together
- keep a good distance from power wires and poles if boating in floods. If in a wooden or fibreglass boat, do not touch the water or metallic parts of the motor when near wires or poles as they may be alive and dangerous
Before power is restored in the event of an outage your energy distributor must inspect the main switchboard and meters of areas that have been flooded. In the interim:
- do not use electrical appliances which have been in floodwaters
- do not handle any wet electrical equipment
- do not replace circuit fuses or restore power to a household which has been flooded until your home has thoroughly dried out and been checked by a licensed electrician
Please also refer to our Power Emergency Kit for more safety advice.
We are here for you.
The safety of our customers is paramount. While enquiries about the physical delivery of electricity, such as power outages, can only be fully addressed by contacting your network distributor, Discover Energy endeavours to assist as much as we can. If you do have an enquiry or require assistance, please call us on 1300 946 898.