A smart meter (also known a Type 4 meter) is an electronic device that records energy consumption in half hour intervals and sends information back remotely without the meter needing to be physically read by a meter reader.
How can we help you?
Basic meters are the non communicating meters which need to be manually read at your property quarterly.
At the request and cost of the customer, we can arrange for you to have your meter upgraded which can take up to 3-4 weeks.
As your energy retailer, we are required to replace or repair a customer’s malfunctioning meter as soon as practicable; but no later than 15 business days after the Metering Co-ordinator has been notified of the malfunction.
If you need your electricity meter changed or removed, please contact us on 1300 946 898.
We will arrange for your new meter to be installed. Once we have submitted your request for a new meter, your meter provider will contact you to book in a date for the work.
- If no connection alteration is required, either on a date agreed with you or within 15 business days from when you the request.
- If a connection alteration is required, either on a date agreed with both you and your electricity distributor or with 15 business days from when you make the request.
- If a new connection is required, either on a date agreed with you and your distributor once supply has been confirmed or within 6 business days from when you make the request.
Exchanging a meter usually takes approximately 30 minutes to 2 hours to complete. Common causes for delays for installation schedules and timeframes are:
- Unsafe environments, such as a loose switchboard, exposed wires or a point of attachment that is too high or low.
- Unclear access to the meter box.
- Locked gates or meter boxes.
- Installing the meter will cause interruptions in supply to other customers.
- If there is a requirement for life support at the property then a more co-ordinated plan between yourself the metering provider and your distributor is required and may take longer than usual.
- Complex meter exchanges that require pre-work to be completed by your distributor prior to the meter exchange occurring.
- If you haven’t agreed to a meter installation
You may be able to request an adjustment bill to be replace your estimated bill by providing us with your own meter reading.
For electricity customers with accumulation meters or customers with gas meters, if your bill is based on an estimated bill that you believe is inaccurate you can send us your own meter reading to replace the estimated read within 10 days of the estimated read date. You can do this by taking a photo of your meter that clearly shows the meter display and sending it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to take a clear photo you can opt to send us a completed self-meter-read form by email to email@example.com
If you wish to submit a self-read you must do so within 10 days of the estimated read date shown on your bill, and in any event a self-read must be submitted prior to the payment due date on your estimated bill.
Discover Energy will not accept self reads that are:
- Received after the payment due date.
- That show a meter read value lower than a previous actual read.
- The provided photograph is not clear or blurry.
If Discover Energy rejects your self-read we will contact you promptly to advice as to why the read has been rejected.